I just realised it’s been way over a month since we last had a dedicated mixtape post. This was an easy choice to make, being a fan of both Jneiro Jarel and DOOM, who just released one of the best hip-hop records this year: Keys To the Kuffs. The guys at Dazed Digital made this one happen, and it’s accompanied by a little interview worth reading.
01. Cash Money And Marvelous – Ugly People Be Quite (Intro)
02. JJ DOOM/Tears For Fears – Winter Blues/Head Over Hills (Jneiro Jarel Re-Edit)
03. Zulu Beats Show (Whbi) 1981 (Jneiro Jarel Re-Edit)
04. JJ DOOM/Portishead – Guv’nor/Sour Times (Jneiro Jarel Re-Edit)
05. Doom – Gazzillion Ear (Dr. Who Dat? Remix)
06. Jneiro Jarel – Get Yuh Own Vs Beetle Juice
07. Gary Numan – Are ‘Friends’ Electric
08. JJ DOOM – Rhymin Slang
09. JJ DOOM – Rhymin’ Slang (JJ Tron Remix)
10. Gray – So Far So Real
11. JJ DOOM – Retarded Fren
12. Glows In The Dark – Bennie (Revisted By Jneiro Jarel)
13. Björk – My Juvenile (Jneiro Jarel’s Minimal Animal Remix)
14. Jneiro Jarel – Dark Moon/Cafe/Dr Doom (JJ & DJ Jamad Edit)
15. JJ DOOM – Dawg Friendly (Outro)
16. Aeb/JJ DOOM – Chea Chea/Banished (feat. Jneiro Jarel & Karen Gibson Roc) (JJ Mash Up)
17. Jneiro Jarel – Bird Charm
18. JJ DOOM – Bite The Thong (feat. Damon Albarn)
On the downside, this one is only available for streaming, but of course there are always ways…
Well, I think you really should listen to the mixtape made by K15, but then there were some others worth checking out as well.
I’ve been following the Modeselektor guys on Soundcloud for some time and I’m used to getting nothing but 1 minute snippets. But this week, they uploaded this 35 minute long mixtape by Anstam, who has been releasing several EPs on their 50 Weapons label.
A photo shoot with Actress? Forget it! A next level producer needs a next level visual presentation, and he gets it from from painter and photographer Pierre Debusschere, just in time for the release of the new album R.I.P.
All this was commissioned by Dazed Digital (I think), who also did an in-depth interview with the lumious producer.
I wish I had the time to keep up with radio shows, but here’s one I have to recommend. Tim’s You’ll Soon Know is on every Monday night and on his latest show his guests are Om Unit and Laurent Fintoni.
And lastly, check this 2003 Four Tet for Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide.
I’ve kept my favourite finding to end this post: Mikuś Musik uploaded some truly classic radioshows, all of them aired around the year 2000. These include 4hero sitting in for Gilles Peterson, Phil Asher talking to Dominic Jacobson about the first Modaji LP (!), and shows from IG Culture, Patrick Forge and Kirk Degiorgio. You need each and every one of these shows!
With the release date of his new album Cosmogramma coming closer, Flying Lotus is back in the center of attention (as if he ever left it.) In this video he talks to Dazed Digital about rip-off, the death of his mother, and of course the new album.
And just as a reminder, Cosmogramma will be out on May 3, 2010 on Warp Records.