It’s almost been two years since Georges of Lamixtape invited me to compile a playlist for the website. As the name maybe suggests Detroit Not Detroit the focus lies on techno music from the motorcity, but also music drawing inspiration from it, anything that (in my humble opionion) carries a certain Detroit vibe. A second volume followed a year later, and since everything needs to be a trilogy for some reason, the final volume went online this week.
01. Autechre – Windwind (Warp)
02. St. Vitus Dance – Tunnel Vision (Peacefrog)
03. Seven Davis Jr – Summers (Apron Records)
04. Deadbeat – I.D. 6 (BLKRTZ)
05. Los Hermanos – Quetzal (Los Hermanos)
06. Clark – Riff Through The Fog (Warp)
07. Huerco S. – Elma (Opal Tapes)
08. Ron Trent & Chez Damier – Morning Factory (Peacefrog)
09. Recloose – Cardiology (Isolée Remix) (Playhouse)
10. Patrick Pulsinger – City Lights (City Of Starsigns) (R&S)
You can listen to the selection on Lamixtape or Spotify!
A couple of months back, Georges of Lamixtape approached me whether I’d like to contribute a mixtape. Mixtape as in putting together a cassette for a friend, that’s the whole idea of the website. Took me while, but in the ended up compiling a top 10 of favourite Detroit techno tracks, including music by non-Detroit artists.
Everything you need to find out more about the tracks included:01. Psyche – Elements (1990, Transmat)
02. Clark – Christo (1995, Planet E)
03. Splinterfaction – Ultraism (2004, Digital Soul)
04. Ian O’Brien – Mad Mike Disease (1996, Ferox Records)
05. I:Cube – Tunnel Vision (2003, Versatile Records)
06. Nu Era – Marz 2010 (2001, Archive)
07. As One – Undefeated (2001, Ubiquity Records)
08. Stacey Pullen – Tsunami (2001, Science)
09. Neon Jung – Too Many Facets (2011, Magic Wire Recordings)
10. Domu – The Long Way Up (Nu Era Remix) (2004, Neroli)
Now head over to Lamixtape and listen to Detroit Not Detroit, only available this August!
It’s been a while since I did a small run of t-shirts, but I finally had the chance to make some more. Designed by my good friend Rubens LP, they were meant as a thank you to the contributors to our podcast series. Well, there are a few left and you can buy one if you want to support this little blog.
All shirts were printed with love and care, using water-based colors and organic cotton shirts. Naturally, I tested a couple of brands to make sure the shirts are durable and the colors don’t wear off.
There aren’t too many available, so you better be quick to get one. Depending on the demand I might make some more in the future.
As previously mentioned on Twitter, I’ve been printing some t-shirts to give away to friends and supporters of this website. The design was made by my good friend Rubens LP and screen-printed in two colours on white shirts.
So why am I telling you this? I decided to give the first samples I made. No fancy brands, just simple white shirts – for free! So if your size is L (large), just leave a comment with your name and email and by Wednesday next week I’ll pick the winners.
PS: more shirts should be available September/October for a nice price!
About this time a year ago, the current design of the site went online. So I went a little through my files to share some previous incarnations and early drafts with you.
As you can see, the very first draft was very simple and the content was in rounded boxes. It even adjusted alright for different text lengths, but the idea was scrapped after all. The actual design was really simple then, as we didn’t want to delay the launch of the site anymore as some of the content was already prepared. After a while, I noticed that old content quickly disappeared so it called for a new design that allowed banners for some of the older features. As for the second version of the site, I think it was easily the worst design so far, which is why it only lasted for about half a year. I find it quite interesting we always started with a bright layout while drafting, but changed it to something darker for improved readability.
It keeps surprising me that current version is only a year old, if feels much older. While it still has one or the other flaw, I think I could go on with it for a while, maybe polish it up a little bit some time this year.
If you want to leave any comment of suggestions or critique, this looks to be the right post to do so!