It’s been a while since the last Mixtape Monday, so apart from featuring some of last week’s mixes, I will sneak in a couple of older ones.
Some weeks back, Gilles Peterson did a Drum & Bass Special on his weekly radio show. I never imagined I’d (still) feature that music on this blog, but when it comes to the late nineties I’m all set for that. If you missed the show, you can now download both hours from SoundCloud. Especially the first part is much recommended!
Also from Gilles Peterson is the podcast to promote the forthcoming Havana Cultura Remixed compilation.
Next up are a couple of house mixtapes for you. Aardvarck dug out some records from the 1988-1993 period and made this mix for New Worck. Philpot Records head Soulphiction made a contribution to the Bodytonic Podcast series, and from Mark E comes a new guest-mix for Warm.
Enrico Crivellaro, better known as Volcov or Isoul8, put together one, two, three mixes for Sunday afternoons. Expect folk, jazz and Brazilian music.
My favourite mix in this week’s selection probably comes from Austrian producer Daeque, whose mix ranges from Dimlite to David Axelrod, Wilco to Shafiq Husayn.
And now for you beatheadz: Big Up magazine has a bunch of post-RBMA mixes from the likes of Kid Kanevil, DZA, Swede:art, Tokimonsta, Daisuke Tanabe, 00Genesis and some others!
The latest episodes of Mamiko’s Hepcat Radio are also online, download or stream the shows with Seiji and Hudson Mohawke.
And lastly, I’d like to mention A Tribute to Matthew Herbert mix, which I’ve found on the Brownswood forum.
Kirk Degiorgio is one of those artists whose music had a huge impact on me around the change of the millennium. He has put out music under the names of As One, Off-World Ensemble (and Offworld) and together with Ian O’Brien, Jinadu and others, he forms The Beauty Room. Apart from these involvements (and many others), he has relaunched his ART label in late 2009.
For the latest Bodytonic podcast, Kirk has put together nearly two hours of music, a selection he calls his Winter Mix.
Bodytonic Podcast 066: Kirk Degiorgio (download)
01. Kirk Degiorgio – Membrane (Carl Craig Remix)
02. Function – Disaffected (Ben Klock Remix)
03. Frenkie V – Discomfort
04. Samuel L. Session – Sinister
05. Gegen Heimer – Earth (Version 2)
06. Aardvarck – Cult Copy (2000 And One Remix)
07. Steve Parker – Mexilhao (Handycraft Remix)
08. Mr. Bizz – Zoom
09. Symphocat – Infra 01
10. A. Mochi – Black Out
11. D5 – Flotation
12. Valmay – Distrust
13. Ed Rush & Nico – Defect (Peter Van Hoesen Remix)
14. Mariano DC – Damage Blocker
15. Steve Rachmad – Electronic Afternoon
16. Subotika – Mantra
17. Jeroen Search – Sonar
18. Echologist – Ritual
19. Sons Of The Dragon – The Journey Of Qu Niu (Phase 90 Mix)
20. Elektric Buddiez – Automated Phuture
21. Kevin Gorman – Shakey Stripped
22. Max M – Egg
23. Kirk Degiorgio – Mass
24. Kirk Degiorgio – Membrane (Original Mix)
25. M.E. – Ride
26. Aroy Dee – The Planets (Vince Watson Remix)
27. Tres Demented – Demented
28. Liaisons Dangereuses – Peut Etre… Pas
29. Kirk Degiorgio – Mindflay
30. A Guy Called Gerald – Automanikk (Derrick May Remix)
31. Kirk Degiorgio – Vesuvio
32. East Sunrise – Automatic Fusion (Python Remix)
33. Samuel L. Session – Related
34. Sons Of The Dragon – The Journey Of Qu Niu (Original Mix)
35. Miguel Migs – Mesmerized (Shur-I-Kan Remix)
36. De-Lite – Wild Times (Mayday Mix)
37. Silent Servant – La Noche
38. Steve Rachmad – Ubatuba Blues
39. Kirk Degiorgio – Time Spin
40. Audiowhores & Roland Clark – I’m Inspired (Club Bonus Beats)
41. Los Hermanos – In Deeper Presence
42. Kirk Degiorgio – Isomer Shift
43. Vince Watson – Vanishing Point
To discover more recent music from Kirk Degiorgio, you need to check his SoundCloud page. For regular book recommendations and everything else, subscribe to the Planetary Folklore blog.
As Carl Craig’s Planet E label has finally landed on SoundCloud, there are some older mixtapes for you to listen to. My favourite is this Paperclip People live-set from 1998, recorded at San Francisco’s Fever. Also available is this mix for the Compost Radio Show, in which Carl plays some older music that inspired him. Unfortunately, these mixes are not officially available for download and can only be listened to through the SoundCloud page.
Just today, Bodytonic has put out their latest podcast and of course it comes from no other than Carl Craig! It features the likes of Donald Byrd, Tribe, Detroit Experiment, Alice Coltrane or Bill Laswell – actually Carl announces the tracks he is playing!
While I’m at it, here are two more for you: The first was recorded for RBMA Radio in Istanbul, the second is a recording from Springsix festival.
Update Apparently, there are other sources to the mentioned Paperclip People show
Dec 2, 2009 Let me add a sixth mix to the selection, recorded at TV Bar in Detroit